I’m always searching for my dream laptop, and I can’t seem to find the perfect one. The closest to perfection is the MacBook Pro 13″, or the Sony Vaio Z, but each has some small quirks. So here’s what I’m looking for.
- 13″ LED (backlit) Monitor
- 1920 x 1080 resolution (like the Sony Vaio Z)
- Intel Core i7
- 10 hours battery life or more (i.e. actual usage, not at minimum power)
- Less than 2kg (like the Sony Vaio Z)
- 8 to 16gigs 1066/1333 mhz RAM
- 320gig SSD (Preferably Intel X25-m)
- Switchable discrete graphics card to play games (and save battery life)
- Standard Sized Backlit Chiclet keyboard (like the MacBook Pro)
- DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM Drive without tray (like the MacBook Pro)
- Non-removable battery (like the MacBook Pro)
- Clean base and sides (no hard edges and ports sticking out, like the MacBook Pro)
- 2 x USB 3.0 and/or 1 x Firewire 800
- 1 x SDCard reader
- 1 x Ethernet
- Wireless N
- 3 years warranty
As you can see, the MacBook Pro 13″ still wins on aesthetic, however loses on specifications. I love the Sony Vaio Z for the specifications, however the keyboard (it needs to be bigger sized) and battery life doesn’t fit my criteria. HP Envy is good too, but the 13″ desperately need a spec upgrade.
How much will I be willing to pay for this? Anywhere from SGD$4,000 to SGD$6,000. If you (manufacturers) can create a laptop of that power and beauty, you’ve got my money in your pockets. Of course, you (manufacturers) should offer lower specifications for the average consumer. Who will be the first one to offer something that I’ll love?