Finally, the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, the long-awaited successor to the industry-changing Canon EOS 5D Mark II has been announced.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III features Canon’s latest image processor, the DIGIC 5+ processor which is 17 times faster than DIGIC 4. The Canon EOS 5D Mark III comes with a 36 x 24 mm full-frame 22.3-megapixel CMOS sensor, high native ISO sensitivity of up to 25,600 (expandable up to ISO 102,400), and a continuous drive of up to 6 frames per second.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III comes with the same 61-point High-Density Reticular AF System found in Canon’s flagship EOS-1D X, and supports continuous video shooting up to a maximum of 30 minutes recording time and automatically create a new video file once the current file reaches 4GB.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III also comes with a new High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode: a first for its series. The HDR mode combines three images shot at different exposures to form one single detailed image. The combination of the three images will result in a single image that contains clear details and tones in all areas.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III is also equipped with a Quick Control Dial which has an inner ring that can be triggered by an electrostatic touch sensor. With this silent control dial, cinematographers are able to change settings while shooting movies without recording any clicking sounds emitted from the control dial.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III will be available in Singapore at the end March at authorized Canon dealers, retailing at USD$3,500 – guestimate pricing between SGD$4,500 to SGD$5,000.
- Dimensions: 152 x 116.4 x 76.4mm
- Weight: 860g (body only)
- Image sensor: 22.3 effective mega-pixel 36 x 24mm CMOS sensor
- Imaging processor: DIGIC 5+
- ISO speeds: 100-25600 (expandable to L:50, H:51200, H2: 102400)
- AF system: 61-point high-density reticular AF system
- Max 41 cross-type sensors
- Central 5 points: Diagonal cross-type sensors
- Continuous shooting speed: up to 6 fps
- Release time lag: approx. 59 ms
- Viewfinder: Approx 100% coverage, 0.71x magnification, 21mm eyepoint
- LCD: 3.2”, 1.04 million dots Clear View LCD II
- Shutter durability: 150,000 cycles
- Recording media: CF + SD
- Battery: LP-E6