According to the latest Q3 2014 State of the Internet report released by Akamai Technologies, six of the top 10 countries saw increases in global average connection speeds. Among those increasing in average connection speeds quarter-over-quarter, Singapore experienced the largest rise (12.2 Mbps), with an 18% improvement in global average connection speed from the second quarter and an impressive year-on-year increase of 57%.
In Q3 2014, Akamai observed attack traffic originating from 201 unique countries/regions, which was up significantly from the last quarter. China and the United States were the only two countries to originate more than 10% of observed global attack traffic while Indonesia was the only country among the top 10 to see observed attack traffic decline. While the number of reported distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks in the Asia Pacific region rose by 25% from the previous quarter.
Other highlights from the Q3 2014 SOTI Report:
- Global average connection speed remains above 4Mbps “broadband” threshold despite slight decline in the third quarter of 2014
- Global broadband adoption rate reaches 60%
- Global average and average peak connection speeds drop by 2.8% and 2.3% respectively
- Slovakia joined South Korea above the 10 Mbps “high broadband” threshold at 10.9 Mbps
- Singapore had the highest peak mobile connection speed globally, at 90.8 Mbps
In Asia Pacific
- South Korea maintains highest level of 4K readiness, with two-thirds of connections to Akamai at or above 15 Mbps
- Indonesia was the only country among the top 10 to see observed attack traffic decline, dropping from 15% of global attack traffic in the second quarter to 1.9% in the third
- Japan joined South Korea and Hong Kong to give Asia-Pacific the top three spots in the average connection speed metric globally and regionally
- Hong Kong had the highest peak speed regionally and globally at 84.6 Mbps peak Internet connection speed
- Observed attack traffic concentration from the Asia Pacific region saw a slight decrease to just under 65% of observed attacks
The report also includes insights into Internet adoption rates, DDoS attack traffic and 4K readiness. You may access the Akamai State of the Internet site or the Akamai State of the Internet app for the full report, press release and Asia Pacific infographic.