The Nokia Lumia 800 is one of the first two Windows Phone 7.5 devices from Nokia. It will be available in Singapore *estimated* around December 10th 2011, at an *estimated* price of SGD$799. Do note these are estimated time and pricing, and are not official.
Now here are my initial thoughts about the Nokia Lumia 800:
- It’s exactly the same as the Nokia N9, except it has a slightly smaller screen (3.7″), no NFC, no front-facing camera. It is using micro-sim similar with the Nokia N9, just something to note about.
- I love touching/swiping the Nokia N9 screen, and although touching/swiping the Nokia Lumia 800 screen isn’t as good, but it’s better than any other touch screen phone I’ve used. With that said, I’m not talking about the software, but the curved screen itself.
- The Nokia ClearBlack display is AMAZING. You can see the difference in the vibrancy of the color and the blacks.
- There aren’t a lot of customizations on the Windows Phone 7.5, so if you’re familiar with WP7.5, it’s all there.
- Services differentiate Nokia Wp7.5 phones over the rest – Nokia Maps and Drive, Nokia Music, Transfer Contacts, App Highlights.
- If anything, Nokia Music has the largest collection of music (English, Korean, Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, etc) in this part of the world for purchase.
- Nokia Maps and Drive isn’t as good as I expect it to be. Nokia Drive with free downloadable maps (up to 95 countries) still requires internet connection to do any routing. Still doesn’t help when I’m overseas with no data.
- Transfer Contacts allows you to transfer your contacts from practically any phone (iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Nokia Symbian) into your Nokia Lumia phones through bluetooth. Extremely useful for a lot of people.
- I’m not too impressed with App Highlights, which is just another app discovery application that’s controlled by Nokia.
- Not as good as the Nokia Lumia 800 in terms of hardware, but it’s an affordable WP7.5 phone with all the software services provided by Nokia like the Nokia Maps and Drive, Nokia Music, Transfer Contacts, App Highlights.
- 5 different colors for the back covers – white, black, cyan, fuchsia and yellow so customize the look and feel. 2 colors for the front – black or white.
- Otherwise, there’s nothing much that stands out.